10.01.2008

Lazy Days

I don't think necessity is the mother of invention - invention, in my opinion, arises directly from idleness, possibly also from laziness.
- Agatha Christie



I am going through a phase. I'm not sure if it's the change in the weather that's causing my inability to focus on anything - knowing that just outside the door, the sun is casting warmth and radiance on everything it touches, while a cool breeze competes for attention. Maybe it's the distractions of the football season & fall sweeps resulting in my reluctance to hole myself up in the kitchen. It's possible that our weekend spoiled me. Whatever the reason may be, I have been lazy the past few days when it comes to cooking.

This laziness is defined by my brief glances at the contents of our fridge, pantry, and freezer - and ignoring the feelings of inspiration in exchange for a quick and easy meal so we can curl up on the couch and watch tv, or sit on the porch and listen to the medley of barking dogs that is so common in our neighborhood.

Store bought smoked turkey wings, alongside sweet steamed baby peas and a quick bake of pineapple, cheddar cheese, shredded crackers, and butter - dinner on the table in 15 minutes. Laziness never tasted so good.

No comments: