9.09.2008

He's a Magic Man

That outdoor grilling is a manly pursuit has long been beyond question. If this wasn't firmly understood, you'd never get grown men to put on those aprons with pictures of dancing wienies and things on the front and messages like 'Come 'n' Get It'.
- William Geist, New York Times Magazine

I am the cook in our family. I plan our meals, I do the grocery shopping, and I run the kitchen. Ironically, my husband is an amazing cook. He makes the best breakfasts I've ever eaten...and he's magic on the grill. So as much as it pains me to give up control, there are days where I force myself to do it.

When it's beautiful outside, and we can't bear to be stifled by the walls of the kitchen and need relief from the heat of the oven, we plan for an evening full of fresh air, cold drinks, and a hot grill. In the summer, when grilling is at its peak, I'm not into it. There is something about standing over a smoking hot grill when it's 98 degrees outside that doesn't make sense to me. However, in the fall - count me in. It's the same sense of satisfaction I get from sitting in front of our fire pit - feeling cool air on your arms and warmth on your face, all at the same time. So come fall, when the air is crisp and the leaves are turning brilliant shades of red and orange, I'm more than happy to pass the apron.
I still get the satisfaction of prepping our food before it hits the grates of the grill - in this instance, it was as simple as wrapping bundles of asparagus with bacon, slicing summer squash lengthwise, adding some steaks, and giving each item a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.


Once I've passed the tray to my husband, my work is done. I can pour a glass of wine, grab him a beer, and prop my feet up, feeling spoiled and excited for what's to come....tender, juicy steaks alongside crisp asparagus and slightly sweet squash. Magic, indeed.

No comments: