9.18.2008

Ain't No Thing

Left wing, chicken wing, it don't make no difference to me.
-Woody Guthrie


In college, I found a verifiable gold mine - Slick Pig BBQ. They are well-known for their smoked wings, and for good reason. These meaty wings are fall-off-the-bone tender, with a rich smoky flavor I've never experienced elsewhere. In my search to avoid the hour-long drive every time I am craving them, I tried to find ways to recreate them at home.

Enter the Crock Pot BBQ Pit. This countertop slow roaster is one of the favorite appliances in our kitchen, and used as frequently as the set of wooden spoons given to me by my mother-in-law. It allows for the most amazing meals, with such minimal effort it's almost shameful.



We've used this cooker to make wings, ribs, whole chickens, pork shoulders - and all have been wholly successful. The result is inevitably succulent tender meat, juicy and filled with a salty smoky bite. The best part? It's so incredibly easy, you can do it in your sleep. The cooker comes with a cheat sheet for cooking times based on types of meat, cuts, and amounts - so there is no guesswork. The timing guides take into account the amount of slow roasting needed to allow even the toughest meats the opportunity to break down, transforming them into mouthwatering dishes. The cooker is also compatible with any type of seasoning method - dry rubs, glazes, basting sauces, or marinades.

For wings, we use a simple basting sauce of worcestershire, hickory smoke barbeque sauce, and liquid smoke. Liquid smoke is the secret to providing the woody flavor found in outdoor smokers and professional grade pits. I rub the wings with garlic powder and seasoned pepper, brush them with the sauce, and then roast them for 5 hours on high, basting halfway through and then again right before serving. The aroma filling the air is heady and tantalizing, enticing us and preparing us for that first heavenly taste.

2 comments:

michael, claudia and sierra said...

have you seen this?

http://cheaterbbq.com/

Any Little Reason said...

I hadn't seen that - my grandpa would likely disown me for buying it, since he's the true pit master in our family, but it looks too good to pass up....