1.19.2009

National Popcorn Day

Of course life is bizarre, the more bizarre it gets, the more interesting it is. The only way to approach it is to make yourself some popcorn and enjoy the show.

- Unknown
Today is National Popcorn Day. For me, that requires celebration. Popcorn is by far my favorite snack - I could eat it daily and never tire of it. Over the years, I've tried every variety I can get my hands on - and I have finally narrowed my favorites down to the following:


Pop Secret Homestyle is my pick for a basic microwave variety - it has the flavor of real butter, not that fake orange stuff most brands have. It's lightly salted, and each bag pops perfectly, without burned pieces or extra kernels at the bottom.



When I'm in the mood for something sweet, I go for Moose Head Kettle Corn - slightly sweet, slightly salty, airy and crunchy - this stuff is addictive.

White cheddar popcorn is probably my favorite flavor - I buy Cousin Willie's microwave variety, and Smartfood air-popped for road trips and on the go snacking. My husband complains they both smell like feet, but it doesn't deter me one bit.

When I want to make popcorn the "real" way, popped on the stove, I use the Whirley Pop that my sister-in-law bought me for Christmas a few years ago, combined with Orville Redenbacher's Popping & Topping Oil.



It's no wonder popcorn gets its own National Day.

3 comments:

TKTC said...

I love cheddar popcorn and am currently looking at an empty bag of a 100 calorie bag of SmartFood. Though my absolute favorite is the Cape Cod brand!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever had Moose Munch popcorn from Harry & David? CRAAAAAAAAACK :)

Anonymous said...

I love my Whirly Pop. I use it so much and have had it so long that the cover is falling apart. I once put peanut butter and caramel seasoning in the pan as it popped. It was....odd, but also oddly delicious!