12.08.2008

Can I Get You a Beer?

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin



I'm not much of a beer drinker. (And before you get all indignant that I shouldn't be a beer drinker while pregnant, I'll clarify that I wasn't much of a beer drinker before I got pregnant.) I enjoy a glass or twelve of wine (again, not currently) but the love for beer solely belongs to my husband.

However, when we were driving home from eating breakfast at a new place in our neighborhood yesterday (more on that later), I noted the cold dry day and decided that it would be the perfect day for soup. A quick stop at the grocery store gave me all I needed to toss together a warm gooey beer cheese soup, and we spent a lazy afternoon watching football and playing Scrabble while it simmered away in the Crock Pot.

This recipe (and I use that term loosely) produces a good amount of soup, enough for leftovers the next day.

Beer Cheese Soup

Celery, onions, carrots, diced (about 2 cups total)
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 block 2% milk Velveeta, cubed
1 1/2 cups beer
Paprika, garlic powder, worcestershire, spicy mustard to taste

Combine all ingredients except beer in Crock Pot - I set mine to the "high, 6 hours" setting and then turned it down to low about 4 hours in. Once vegetables are tender and cheese has thoroughly melted, puree with immersion blender until smooth. Add beer and continue cooking on low until ready to serve.

I also had some whole wheat hamburger buns that were nearing the end of their shelf life, so I cubed them, tossed them with olive oil, garlic powder, salt & pepper and toasted them in a 200 degree oven for about 20 minutes. They were a great addition to the soup.

I may not be a beer drinker, but this I can get behind.

1 comment:

TKTC said...

Velveeta is my biggest client at Edelman. I will probably share this with them because it sounds like anti-winter frigidity in a bowl! Yum!